Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Blog Intro and A Word About Music

I have a lot of opinions. I plan to share those opinions on a variety of subjects--sports, music, business (especially marketing), entertainment, education, travel and more--via this blog. Honestly, I think my wife is tired of hearing me talk about these things so I have to get them off my chest one way or another. My first post will be brief.


I have very little patience for popular music that gets played on the radio these days. As the son of a music teacher, I was brought up on a wide variety of music--classical, opera, jazz. I absorbed the music of the 70s and consumed the 80s. To me, these were great times for music. In addition, I play guitar, drums, bass and can write music. I am, therefore, very critical of and rarely inspired by the current popular music.

Roughly a year ago, I heard Adele for the very first time. I was taken by the strength and tone of her voice as well as the quality of her songwriting. I acquired her album, 21, and quickly fell in love with it. There really wasn't a weak moment on the entire album. I couldn't wait to tell my wife about it. I said, "This is the best album I've heard in years. It's so raw yet perfect. There's hope for popular music after all."

It turns out Chris Cornell, the lead singer and songwriter from Soundgarden (a band I really admire), feels like I do. Check out his comments at the link below. 

http://www.guitarworld.com/soundgardens-chris-cornell-contemporary-pop-music-couldnt-be-any-worse-it-now

No comments:

Post a Comment