Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Holiday Music: In the Mood to Rock & Swing

I have to admit I'm a sucker for holiday music. Being the son of a musician, the holidays always meant more music in the house. Some of my fondest childhood memories are of my father playing holiday melodies on his trumpet. He had a smooth, beautiful tone. Because of this, I can't help but seek out new and exciting interpretations of holiday music.

These days my tastes range from traditional songs like Mel Torme's The Christmas Song (as sung by Nat King Cole) to the hard rock guitar instrumentals on the Merry Axemas: A Guitar Christmas albums that virtuoso guitarist Steve Vai put together years ago. I know Trans-Siberian Orchestra is popular today--and I enjoy some of their music--but hearing a guitar god like Jeff Beck play Amazing Grace or Steve Morse play Joy to the World gets my guitar-playing juices flowing. Who says you can't rock out during the holidays?

If jazz-flavored music that swings is more your style, there are a few albums that can really get you in a festive mood. The Brian Setzer Orchestra has several holiday releases that are simply must-haves. Each one features big band swing versions of holiday classics (with a little rockabilly thrown in for good measure). I dare you to listen to them and not at least start tapping your toe(s). See the video below to hear Setzer and his band's rendition of Tchaikovsky's The Nutcracker Suite. Harry Connick, Jr. is another artist you can turn to for New Orleans style holiday jams. I highly recommend his first holiday album, When My Heart Finds Christmas. From Sleigh Ride to Let it Snow, he doesn't disappoint. Also high on my list is the the legendary Oscar Peterson Trio and their classic album an An Oscar Peterson Christmas. 

Can you tell I'm into this music? There are just too many to write about for a blog post. But I'd be remiss if I didn't mention the holidays stylings of Etta James, Ray Charles, Andrea Bocelli, Dean Martin, Ella Fitzgerald, and Frank Sinatra. How can you go wrong with these artists? C'mon, it's time to start downloading a couple of these. To get you started, here are just a few links to some of the music I've covered.

For iTunes Customers:
Merry Axemas: A Guitar Christmas Vol. I (Various Artists)
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/merry-axemas-guitar-christmas/id197986461
Merry Axemas: A Guitar Christmas Vol. II (Various Artists)
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/merry-axemas-vol.-2-more-guitars/id190420716
An Oscar Peterson Christmas (Oscar Peterson Trio)
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/an-oscar-peterson-christmas/id319171803
When My Heart Finds Christmas (Harry Connick, Jr.)
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/when-my-heart-finds-christmas/id209700462

How about a little more? Thanks to YouTube, here are two more samples to check out. Listen to guitarist Steve Vai's take on the Peanuts cartoon classic Christmas Time is Here plus the BSO's version of The Nutcracker Suite.

Steve Vai: Christmas Time is Here


Brian Setzer Orchestra: The Nutcracker Suite


Have your own favorites? Leave some suggestions in the comments section.

Happy Holidays!

No comments:

Post a Comment