Saturday, September 1, 2012

What Legacy Will You Leave Behind?

Last night I attended a wake with my father. We were both connected to the man who passed away. He was my father's teaching colleague at St. Ignatius College Preparatory for over 30 years and he was my track coach while I attended high school there. Because he was my father's coworker, I knew him a bit more than the most students. As an educator, he touched countless lives. But that was not the sum of this man.


James V. Connelly lived a life for others. He started his career as an engineer but eventually found his true calling in the teaching profession. He was all business in the classroom and had a notorious reputation. Though some students may have worried he would be their teacher, the ones who spent a year (or more) with him never forgot the experience. They would boast if they were able to earn a high grade in one of his classes. In addition, they would treasure any praise he gave them. He inspired so many in the areas of mathematics, history, and political science.

I wasn't fortunate enough to have Mr. Connelly as a teacher. Instead he was my track and field coach. Just like in the classroom, he was all business on the track. You never saw him without his notebook and stopwatch. He studied each athlete's skill level and progress--I'm convinced he had each of average relay split times memorized. He knew exactly to get the most out of us in order for the team to succeed. He knew when to push us and when to praise us. I have great memories of the experience--and some medals--because of him.

The most significant memory I have of Jim Connelly was his unselfishness, generosity, and devotion to family. More than anything else, this was the constant theme in every conversation I heard at his wake. In addition to Jim and his wife raising eight biological children, they adopted seven more. That's a full house. But Jim and his wife felt they had more love to share so they took in over 20 foster children over the years. Imagine that the next time you feel overwhelmed by your daily stresses and responsibilities.

One simply cannot reflect on a life like Jim Connelly's without some self examination. As I'm doing now, ask yourself some fundamental questions. Am I helping others? Am I providing guidance where it's needed? Am I being the best person I can be for my family and my community? Most of all...what legacy will I leave behind?

No comments:

Post a Comment